Friday, October 10, 2008

Our Wanderings~


"...As the romantics  put it: we are defined not by what we are or what we do, but by our Sehnsucht (german -wistful, longing): Tell me for what you yearn and I shall tell you who you are.  We are what we reach for, the idealized image that drives our wandering."
From Blue Fire: Selected Writings by James Hillman p. 286.

I woke up this morning with this James Hillman quote on my mind and felt compelled to share it with you.  I apply it to my soul like a soothing salve whenever I struggle to locate my identity.  And although I'd like to say I know who I am, I don't always, but I do know what I love, and what I long for, and what I am searching for in this beautiful life.  And so, these words, well, they help me to rest; they give dignity to my human quest.  

And if you haven't read anything by James Hillman and your interested in the souls quest, I highly recommend him.  I am currently devouring his book "The Souls Code," it is the kind of book that begs you to fold down every page and underline almost every word.  The kind of book you want to buy a thousand copies of and leave at random bus stops.  The kind you want to secretly drop into friend's handbags when they are not looking and see on college reading lists around the world.  ( well this is my opinion anyway).

Image by: Charles van Sandwyk 


3 comments:

Tammie Lee said...

Lovely to read of your passion for these words. Seems as though they have ignited your spirit and now you share this spirit with us. Thank you.

ArtSparker said...

Okay, so now I have chills...that illustration brought up the "Wayfarers All" chapter in Wind in The Willows, where Ratty is listening to the Seafaring Rat, and imagining all the places that rat had been, and then awakes to see the other rat dwindling away in the distance. Do you like Wind in the Willows? Seems like it would be your sort of thing.

ArtSparker said...

oh yes...Also, there's a book called Where the Blue Begins, in which all of the characters are dogs, by Christopher Morley...the main character is a dalmation who is drawn by the fugitive blue of the horizon.