Saturday, October 4, 2008

A Note About Faeries~

Having just returned from my mailbox I have discovered the most deelightful surprise.  My 4 and 1/2 year old niece Senay has sent Auntie a letter.  The letter was dictated by her and written by Nana, not less than a week ago.  It then came 300 miles down through the mountains to finally arrive on my doorstep with unbelievable flair.  Of course these letters are always accompanied with fabulous drawings of important things like sunshines, and dogs, and people she loves.  They come in colorful envelopes smothered in sparkly faerie stickers and rainbow glitter pen.  And, I feel it most important to add to this, that if a letter from Senay awaits me, the mailbox is positively glowing from the inside out before I even open the lid.

Senay, is a faerie expert, I don't know if I mentioned that.  Her knowledge of the Little People far surpasses any adult wisdom in this arena.  This summer, while camping together for 10 days, beside a mountain lake in British Columbia's wild interior, she educated me in the department of faerie dwellings, faerie entertainment, and faerie transportation.   


I learned that faeries live mostly in trees and hollowed out mossy stumps, however there are some who choose to live in secret crystal caves and others that live in the water, and, unlike us, breathing under water is not a problem for them.  Fairies like to catch rides on the beautiful stones that people wear around their necks, and to use the words of Senay..."the more sparkly the necklace, the more the Faeries like it."  

She commented on the sparkly quality of my tourmaline necklace, and then, without hesitation informed me that there was a "Faerie Party" going on around my neck, and "was I aware of this?"Late that night, in the wee hours of the morning, when I found myself wide awake, under a big fat full moon, in my little yellow tent, I remembered the Fairy Party Senay told me about earlier in the day, at which point, I removed the necklace, and instantly drifted off to sleep.  Go figure.  

Senay is also an advocate of Faerie rights and takes particular care of her little friends.  If anything should threaten them in anyway, she rises up to protect them with faerie feirceness. There was some panic at the lake this summer when Opa was eating all the "CHERRIES," and Senay, who was playing in the woodpile nearby thought that Opa was eating all the "FAERIES," and well you can imagine. Otherwise, the only other thing she mentioned that I feel I must report is that if you can't see Faeries, it's only because "your not looking." 

This report was taken in July of 2008.  Senay has been doing  much more research in this area since the date of my report, and is currently trying to discover why there are so many fairies in her mother's hair  in the mornings?
Faerie Image by Brian Froud

9 comments:

herhimnbryn said...

Gorgeous. I am sending this as a link to Rima at The Hermitage, I am sure she will agree with your niece!

Koldo Barroso said...

This is such a beautiful story to share! Children really keep their eyes open to things that adults don't. It's a gift to be surrounded by them!

ArtSparker said...

A lovely entry - Worlds within worlds - and very part of the universe alive. Love your writing. Glad you liked the lion.

Donna Gotlib said...

I see the beginning of a wonderful children's book. She is darling and highly creative. I'll be returning for more.

Cookie

Anonymous said...

Such beautiful writing.

Anonymous said...

What an absolute darling! And a lucky girl to have an aunt who respects and documents her stories. This must explain why the veil seems thinner whenever I wear my most sparkly necklace. Thanks Senay for the wisdom :)

Rima Staines said...

How very lovely indeed...
thanks to herhimnbryn for pointing me here :)

Unknown said...

I just posted a fairy - A Poppy Fairy. You might like to meet her . . .

- Son (a lover of BC)

TheSingingBird said...

such a sweetie...of course the fairies love her