Monday, March 16, 2009

Sing a Song~




One thing that I have learned about myself is that a good ol' heartfelt song always helps me to feel better about the world. No matter what the circumstance, there is always a song fit for the occasion. Always a melody rising up out of my own human experience ready to work it's healing magic.

I sing in sadness and in happiness. I sing when my heart is broken and when it is beating with joy. I sing because sometimes I simply don't know what else to do. I sing because I cannot help but sing.



I don't think that song is just for the musicians of the world. I think that song is for all human beings. Recently I went snow shoeing in the mountains for the first time, and when I asked a friend if she thought I would be able to snow shoe, she said "if you can walk you can snowshoe," and, well, I think a similar thing could be said about singing, that "if you can talk, you can sing."

On that note, a poem for your day~


Only If You Join Me
By St. Catherine of Siena (1347-1380)

One more song tonite, okay, but only
if you join me.

Once, when I was sad, I said to a kind old priest,
"Have you learned any secrets
to unburden the
heart?"

And he responded,

"Hum a favorite melody;
wine will always rise
to the top
of oil."

2 comments:

Laura Doyle said...

Beautiful thoughts that brightened my day. : ) I think I'll sing a song.

Rowan said...

I can certainly sing and enjoy doing it - I can't say that it brings much pleasure to anyone else though:)